[aprssig] APRS as a Situational Awareness tool

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Jan 22 09:48:35 EST 2008

> I would like to see a presentation from you
> about how APRS can be used by an EOC or similar.
> This page below is a bit negative; I would like to
> see the positive side of things.

Well, I have been promoting the details of best use of APRS for
EOC's and special events for about 16 years now, and yet
operators are using APRS less and less as an information
resource and more and more as a vehicle tracking system for
transmit-only trackers.

Today, I added one more to that page:

"Failure to use the APRS built-in MileMark system for tracking
non APRS mobiles"

I suppose I could re-write the page by changing all the  "user's
failure to do such and such" to "users should..."...  Thanks for
the suggestion.  Yes, I will be happy to put something together.