[aprssig] HF NCDXF beacon reports on APRS?

Ev Tupis w2ev at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 18 06:40:26 EST 2008

----- Original Message ----
I was wondering though, how it would be posible to report the reception
of said beacons via APRS for "local" HF users, that is, none to 1 digi
hop.
<snip>
OK, so what would the list suggest as to how to construct an APRS
beacon, to show the basic stuff, beacon call, and an indicator of aprox
S/N value, say every 15 minutes, a complete IBP cycle time.  I guess
 the
un-received ones could be left out to reduce the APRS data load.

Hi Dave,
You are asking the same question that I asked back in 1996 when the idea of PropNET began.  With the hope of guiding you to existing APRS features that can help and allowing you to decide which to take advantage of allow me to offer the following...

The APRS spec has two formats that you can explore more deeply: "Telemetry" and "User Defined Data".  It is my experience that you should look into the APRS protocol spec document and read about both and decide which you would want to use to convey this information.

The PropNET system uses "User Defined Data".  In retrospect, I wish I had seen the "Telemetry" option before settling as I did.  YMMV. (by the way...is the metric version of "mileage" actually "kilometerage"? <g>).

Of course, conveying it on the APRS network is one thing, you will still need someone to write software to parse and display it the way that you intend.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,
Ev, W2EV