[aprssig] Part 3/3: Updating APRS Clients (Consumer Needs)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 15 13:47:05 EST 2008

The frequency inversion scrambling that's still being used by some law
enforcement agencies is equally trivial to defeat with a scanner and a
sound card.  I once did that just to find out who was using scrambling
on a frequency that didn't show up on any of my lists for the local area
- figured it was a taxi dispatch service or something but it was
obviously LE activity once I got it descrambled.  They never did provide
any form of identification and used very generic callsigns like 'Unit 1'
and 'Unit 3', though, so I don't know who exactly it was.

Anyway, my point is that as long as you can't see it by just going to a
web page, it might be ENOUGH protection.

Scott
N1VG