[aprssig] Part 3/3: Updating APRS Clients (Consumer Needs)

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Jan 15 12:46:27 EST 2008

For use on commercial frequencies it's not hard to implement encryption.
  Pick a different PID, encrypt with a shared key using XXTEA (secure
and easy for small tracker to implement) on the transmit side, and
decrypt anything with that PID on the receive side.

Key management is still an issue, especially if you need multiple
systems with different keys on the same channel.  And the resulting
system is arguably not "APRS".

I did come up with a useful hack for the T2 that could be used for
crypto key material - you can get a 1-wire EEPROM in a TO92 package and
crimp it directly into an RJ-11 plug and it'll fit in the accessory port
on the front.  That's at least enough space for a 128-bit key, and
possibly some other configuration data as well.

Scott
N1VG