[aprssig] Com port sharing utility

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Tue Jan 15 12:32:09 EST 2008

On Jan 15, 2008 10:58 AM, Curt, WE7U <archer at eskimo.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Earl Needham wrote:
>
> >          When I tried Ubuntu with these devices, I had to unplug the
> > USB items (including my Sprint aircard), and THEN boot the
> > machine.  Once the machine was up and running, I had to plug in the
> > aircard, then plug in the dongle, and finally plug in the
> > GPS.  Anything else and the numbers were wrong and various software
> > couldn't find the items.
>
> There are ways in Linux to force the assignments for particular
> devices.  I don't know the details though as I haven't tried to do
> this yet.  Look for "udev" info at <http://www.google.com/linux>

It seems like I tried (and failed) to help Earl with this problem, but udev
will indeed help with many of these problems.

I prefer FTDI-based usb/rs232 adapters because they have a serial number
(string really) to make this operation easy, and even have facilities to
change that serial number.

-Jason
kg4wsv