[aprssig] Com port sharing utility

Brian Webster bwebster at wirelessmapping.com
Mon Jan 14 19:22:39 EST 2008

This looks like it might work well too:

http://curioustech.home.insightbb.com/xport.html

Thank You,
Brian N2KGC

 -----Original Message-----
From: aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org
[mailto:aprssig-bounces at lists.tapr.org]On Behalf Of Claude Head III
Sent: Monday, January 14, 2008 6:37 PM
To: TAPR APRS Mailing List
Subject: [aprssig] Com port sharing utility

  I seem to remember comments on this SIG some time ago about a COM port
sharing utility, whereby a single COM port could be used by two (or more)
applications at the same time.

  My desire here is to use a Garmin GPS receiver to feed data to a DeLorme
Street Atlas program and at the same time feed the GPS data to a program
that would keep the computer (a Dell Latitude laptop) time correct. I have
found an inexpensive program that will set the computer's time using GPS
data, but it does not share access to the COM port.

  As mentioned earlier, I think I saw references to such a sharing program
in this SIG some time ago. Does anyone remember that, or know of an
inexpensive (preferably free) program? I've found a couple of such programs
on the internet, but they are priced at $100 or more.

  Thanks in advance for any info.

  73, Claude Head
        K5DTN
        Dallas, TX