[aprssig] info for TM-D710E in car

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Sun Jan 13 13:58:38 EST 2008

Bob WB4APR wrote...

> This is the APRS standard for decay position reporting.

But is Michele standing still or moving?

> Since the original APRS, this is the preferred way of transmitting
> APRS.  If data is changing...

I and I believe most other people would argue that SmartBeaconing is the
preferred way for mobiles to transmit their position. The only argument
I can see for proportional pathing in something like the D710 is if it
is actually standing still. However, SmartBeaconing can be set for
whatever is accepted in that particular area for the slow beacon rate.
For mobiles that are only parked for a short time, I would suggest 10
minutes per the APRS spec. For mobiles that are e.g. parked overnight or
for long periods, especially in locations where the frequency is busy,
the slow beacon rate should be set for a much longer period of time.

I recall that Kenwood released an update to other D710 right after it
was released. If it is user upgradeable, couldn't Kenwood add
SmartBeaconing? I'm pretty sure I asked on the list some months ago if
Kenwood could add SmartBeaconing in an update to the D710. I don't think
I recall seeing a reply. I'm sure if
YOU asked Kenwood to add it, they would act. However, if you don't tell
them not to implement the feature, it will be a long wait. There's
always the HamHUD. www.hamhud.net  Perhaps Steve can add a "tune" button
to the HamHUD V.

>> so my position is not correct in the UI-View map.
>
> It should be. The delay only happens if your position is not
> moving or changing. If you are moving, then there is no decay.

But if Michele's position is changing, should the D710 not be sending
his new position? Or does it hold off beaconing at a decayed rate if his
last beacon was digipeated no matter what, even if he is moving?
Regardless, the last position beaconed should have been accurate at the
time it was transmitted. It is possible that Michele's lat beacon was
just not heard.

Perhaps you could explain the D710 and "proportional pathing" again.
Unless it's just a matter of Michele's lat beacon(s) were not heard,
does Michele have something not entered correctly, or is the D710 flawed
in this regard? If "proportional pathing" is flawed in the D710, can the
user defeat it? Of course, then they would be back to using a fixed
rate, and that wouldn't be very smart.

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH