[aprssig] Re: APRS Common BULLETIN BOARD awareness

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 13 12:06:10 EST 2008

> Perhaps the right approach is to convince
> OH7ZLB to add this to http://aprs.fi,
> which would increase awareness a lot.

Thanks for the idea...  but...

Unfortunately, the Common Bulletin Board for LOCAL events is a local RF function only.  It makes no sense on the internet when viewing bulletins from the entire planet.

And that is probably why most of the follow-on clones ignored it, because when most of them were being written, the global connectivity of the APRS-IS was the exciting new thing in APRS and so using APRS as a -Local-Information-Resource on RF seemed "limiting".

But we have had our fun with the internet,  And it is a great tool, but it is time to get APRS back to being a useful information resource on RF as a HAM radio application.

Bob, Wb4APR