[aprssig] APRS DOS a time for change?

Kai Gunter Brandt kai.brandt at hjemme.no
Sat Jan 12 09:54:42 EST 2008

Bob Bruninga skrev:
>> But i'm sure that it's easier for Bob
>> to do this translation if he uses
>> Pure or True basic.
>>

> Do these run in a windows environment? yet remain a classic von neuman basic?
>
> I took a look at VBasic and Marc Sproul was right, that switching to a windows environment was a total paradigm shift and there was no easy porting of my 30,000 lines of code.
>
> Bob, WB4APR

Yes this is true windows environment with GUI, requesters etc.

The only thing to change is:
how to display/read the maps
Keyboad functions input and text output.
Serial communications.

Probably a few other things too. But all the procedures, global
variables etc can be converted with simple search/replace.

I have already convertet all the Qbasic from APRSDos to PureBasic
But it's hard to read other peoples code and then get everything to work
100%

And you can also compile it for Linux without changing the code. (a few
limitations)

I would really love to make a new program. But for one person this is a
lot of work.
And my biggest problem is to choose the map format. And how to calibrate
i.e a bitmap picture.
I have some large maps and only xastir is putting my stations in the
corect place.
The ordinary top-left and bottom-right calibration is not usable in SAR
I would love something ala OziExplorer calibration.

Kai Gunter
LA3QMA