[aprssig] APRS Common BULLETIN BOARD awareness

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 11 21:14:42 EST 2008

> > All you need is APRS876.ZIP which is the
> > latest....
>
> What about the operating system?

I have run it on every PC I have encountered from the DOS
prompt.  Some have reported bad graphics though...

> I presume you aren't suggesting that all APRS
> users should stop using the tools that they
> are using successfully day-in and day-out now.

Not at all.  But they must be aware of the limitations of Uiview
with respect to managing lots of objects for a situation.  My
post showed how only ONE station with a properly implemented
decaying APRS client at the situation can manage the objects and
then all Uiview users can continue to operate and post objects
as needed with no problems.

My intent is just to save people the mistake I made one day when
we planned an entire event (with lots of objects) around Uiview
and on the week-ebefore test, we learned hard how it simply was
not deigned to do this.  Had to completely abandon Uiview for
the event (handling 36 troops of midshipmen by tracking their
objects...)

Simply know the limitations, and learn the work-arounds (before
the event).

Bob, WB4APR