[aprssig] APRS as a Situational Awareness tool

Russ Chadwick russ at wxqa.com
Fri Jan 11 08:46:05 EST 2008

Ev Tupis wrote:

> So...why is APRS designed for situational awareness, yet is so under utilized?  A question that I will ponder over the next couple of days as the situation in Rochester abates.

Ev,

With regard to weather, APRS is not under utilized.  If you enter
"Rochester, NY"  here,

http://www.wxqa.com/search.htm

you will get information on a CWOP weather station in the area and
multiple links to the surface weather data, meta data and quality data
from that station.  If you then click under "Near stns", you will have a
list of other weather stations in the area.  The weather data from most
of these weather stations are being sent to National Weather Service
Forecast Offices around the country in real-time and the data appear on
their standard AWIPS workstations, not on a PC over in the corner.

In addition the data are being sent to over 500 user agencies around the
world in real-time.  So, thanks to the volunteers who send the data and
to those who operate APRS-IS and findU, the whole system is utilized by
professionals and amateurs for weather situational awareness.

Russ Chadwick,  KB0TVJ