[aprssig] OLPC positions and MESH-ing

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Jan 6 22:21:18 EST 2008

> In the DC area, I think we have several
> Hams with XO's.  Maybe we should schedule
> a meeting and show-and-tell so that everyone
> can benefit from the fruits of our efforts?

Actually, I would like to build a map of all HAMS with OLPC's to help us play and possibly MESH together..  The map will include both your home and work locations which are two places where you might have your OLPC laptop for meshing.  If you are retired, then include any other place you may frequent.

Just email me your CALL, and LAT/LONGs for both of your locations.   If you have other daily locations you may add them too. ALso indicate how many OLPC's you have.  Here is the preferred format:

WB4APR:3909.12N/07629.34Wl Home, with access to 3 OLPC's

The LAT/LONG is in DEG and decimal minutes.  The two spaces after the decimal points are for hundredths of minutes.  If you replace them with two spaces, then your position can remain ambiguous to the nearest mile, if you like.  The "l" (lower case L) after the W is the laptop symbol.  Everything after that is free text to describe your OLPC.

Those that are into APRS can go ahead and just change your normal APRS station to the LAPTOP symbol for the next week or so, and I can capture your posit that way electronically.

> TO make it easy to compute the centroid
> of local OLPC's, everyone could beacon
> their position on APRS using the LAPTOP
> symbol with a note about their OLPC.
> Then we can pick the centroid to plan a meeting...

Thanks!
Bob, WB4APR