[aprssig] CC: Cruise...Dear Scott, ... (admitedly drifting OT)

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 6 21:40:54 EST 2008

FYI:  Even if it is a bit delayed, I couldn't *not* say anything to the author
of the cruise-gone-sour story:

TO: WA6LIE
CC: APRSSIG

Hi Scott,
  One of the Amateur Radio news groups I read had a posting of the link to your
cruise-gone-sour story.
http://adjunct.diodon349.com/Radio/suspected_terrorists_on_carnival_cruise_this_could_be_YOU.htm

    I'm sorry you and your wife had such an experience, however, as I read it,
my first thought was that you're supposed to ask the captain and I was very
disappointed that I saw nothing to that effect in your story.
    It still may have produced some time of consternation, but it should have
been much less intimidating.  I suspect that, at very least, you would have
been given time to make an adjustment agreeable to security; OR  at the best,
had no problem at all.

   Someone was also kind enough to post the relevant part 97 section

97.11(a):
(a) The installation and operation of an amateur station on a ship or
aircraft must be approved by the master of the ship or pilot in command
of the aircraft.

    While this is long after your 2005 cruise, one of the fellas also posted
the following.  It would be of great interest to others finding your story NOW.

>>I have ...7 day Mexican Riveria cruise, ...MS Carnival Pride next month.
>> [snip] but found on the last line of items BANNED on the crusie
>> ship - Any Ham Radio Transmitters.
>>
>>http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/Promo_Content/PDF/prohibited_items.pdf
>>
>>Bummer.

   As a friendly suggestion from a fellow ham;  and as a gesture of "Full
Disclosure" I suggest that you should eat a little crow and add a section to
your story about this important requirement that you unfortunately missed.

   Perhaps I'll work you on a future cruise.

73, Steve, K9DCI
CC said newsgroup

--
73, Steve, K9DCI