[aprssig] 6.72m Propagation Network Already In Service

Jon Adams jon at jonadams.com
Sun Jan 6 01:20:14 EST 2008

Good evening, Ev, Bob and others -

Did you know that the BNSF Railway is running a nice 44.58MHz network
with about 600 base stations spread over a great part of the US west of
the Mississippi? It's 9600 baud, does not rely upon meteor scatter, is
called "Extended Line of Sight" propagation, short packets generally,
GMSK modulation. About 100-150 locomotives, most of the trackside defect
detectors, most of the highway vehicles that also have ability to get up
on the rail, have transceivers now as well. All the transceivers are
100W tx and the vehicle/trackside equipment antennas are either loaded
1/4 or full-size halfwave antennas. Base station antennas are coaxial
dipoles high up on towers, generally 60-100'. Network is very chatty,
but apparently quite efficient, with dozens of packets per minute from
any one base station. While it's not exactly continuous duty, when a
propagation event occurs, the number of packets per minute can easily
top 100. Packet types include location packets, for base and mobile
devices, network beacons, telemetry packets, control packets, etc. The
network runs in a TDMA polled mode, so the field devices only talk when
authorized.

The reason I bring this up is that this network is already far more
dense than most anything that hams could create. It's a great tool for
seeing propagation in real time, and while 6-3/4m is a little longer
than 6 and shorter than 10, it's probably a good indicator.

If you listen on 44.58MHz FM narrow, maybe you'll hear the short bursts,
especially if you're anywhere near a BNSF line. Here at my qth, I have a
receiver specifically for that band and service, and have received
packets from as far away as Minnesota. We're looking for hams who would
be willing to add a dedicated receiver and antenna to their setups to
collect this data - we have a server that then plots the current prop on
Google Earth as well as web pages that provide specific statistics on
the data. There are about 19 receiving sites now, concentrated in AZ and
IL, with a few more in SoCal, Washington state, Colorado, Iowa, New
Mexico, Wisconsin. The radios we use for reception are generally old
boat-anchor Motos, including Micors, Mitreks, Maratracs, Maxtracs, some
plain-vanilla scanners work fine too. All require direct discriminator
output, and a sound card that has really good low-frequency performance
(there's no scrambling on the data, so there can be really long
sequences of zeroes). Nearly all the antennas are homebrew, either
vertical dipoles, loaded quarter waves, or fullsize ground planes.

While this Meteorcomm network does not rely upon meteor scatter, it does
provide a fine tool for detecting potential meteor scatter events as
well as other ionospheric stuff. And when the skip is in, I'm not sure
how their network can deal with the onslaught of packets, but it seems
to work fine.

Many of us who are involved with this are hams, with a fair number who
are railfans and not hams. What you get in return for participation in
this network is the propagation data in digestible format. If you're
interested in participating, reply to me off-list.

73 - Jon N7UV