[aprssig] RE: 6m meteor Scatter project (radios&ants)

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Jan 4 21:26:05 EST 2008

> get GAIN antennas for MS for these receivers.
> And the answer is simply a 100 foot long wire.
> Just 100 feet gives over 12 dBi of gain in a
> fixed direction.  Just perfect for 6m MS!

Oops.  I forgot to change the ground to "real" that drops the
gain by almost 5 dB.  I can get back 3 dB by going back to the
200 foot longwire, or use two wires in a V, or 4 wires into a
rombic.  But still, just WIRE.

Remember, it doesn't really matter WHERE the main lobe of your
long wire gain is, its just one of dozens of Igates monitoring
for MS paths.

So any 200 feet of wire that goes not even in a straight line
might still have a high gain lobe somewhere...  And that counts
if we have enough people listening to their random part of the
sky...