[aprssig] APRS Weather hops and rates

Jesse (KC5LOS) kc5los at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 29 20:05:27 EST 2008

NWS here in Texas (CORPUS) does not have access to the APRS information
nor the ability to decode the information. They are not even using the
CWOP info either. There are no plans to take advantage of this
information either.

When asked, I tell everyone 10 mins with a WIDE2-1 to keep it local and
still gives the WX station a opportunity to beacon out. And we are not
clobbered with nothing but WX station data. IF NWS wanted to use the
data I don't see them needing it any faster than 10 mins since their
radar loops every 10 mins or so. Our Digis are spread out (1 per
populated county as of current) and so its not hard to keep things
local. But we strive to atleast get what we hear to a IGATE. We have 3
IGATEs serving the area between Corpus and Laredo with 2 running as a
backup in montior only mode. So the WX data makes it to that and then to
the internet. Those willing to work with the APRS group usually will get
directed paths to cover the local areas they are in and local area being
60 miles.