[aprssig] RE: [parsing] APRS Weather hops and rates

Rich Garcia k4gpsc at gmail.com
Fri Feb 29 18:53:27 EST 2008

Actually don't they want it faster during severe weather, was it not every 5
minutes?

I remember some talk about that due to some hurricane history we have had.
In the case of Andrew they found that MANY weather stations with frequent
updates was necessary and something they did not have. In Andrew's case
which was very large they were not 100% sure exactly where ground zero was
or exactly what the strongest winds were.

I may be wrong here but I think Andrew was one of the catalysts to the COP
program. It came MUCH later with the advent of affordable weather stations
and the APRS-IS but they did know that they needed something to help
forecasting storms such as this long before Bob, Steve and the others made
it possible.

Rich