[aprssig] THD7A GPS Question

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 23 15:42:38 EST 2008

Hi Sam,

My (old) Garmin GPS-III works perfectly.  My (brand new) Garmin eTrex Vista HCx is USB-only, so it does not.

I was planning to get a little GPS module (http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/product_info.php?products_id=465 looks good) to replace the GPS-III on the Kenwood D7, but now I may need to re-think that (or plan on adding a 9v battery!).  Thanks for the (9v) tip!

 For background, my GPS-III is starting to lose it's display.  Several rows of pixels are out, and it's getting worse and harder to read.  And, after 10 years, I think I deserve a new one...  In researching what is out there, and my particular needs, it came down to either the GPS Map 60CSx or the eTrex Vista HCx.  Both are basically identical in features, but the 60 is larger and has a serial port in addition to USB.  The size of the 60 is a negative, except for the display, as you can't put it in your pocket very well, and the operating buttons are at the bottom which makes working it one-handed a bit harder.  So, the Vista was the answer, but I still need something for the Kenwood.  In the short term, the old GPS-III is still ok, even if the display goes totally out, but the newer modules are much more sensitive, smaller, and I figure I can build a little enclosure and tap into the Kenwood battery (the 4 x AA pack) to run it.  And maybe add a 9v "bias battery" and level shifter too, if the module's output isn't strong enough.

Thanks again for posting,

Greg  KO6TH