[aprssig] 1. RE: THD7A GPS Question (Robert Bruninga)

Corrie Griffiths corrie_griffiths at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 20 16:45:58 EST 2008

> > Not sure why you are seeing the blinking
> > but not getting valid position data.

I saw this very problem on an early revision TH-D7E - it was due to the NMEA sentence from my GPS having positions with 4 decimal places and the D7 only being able to handle 3 decimal places.  I proved this by creating a PIC based lash up that stripped the 4 decimal place - probably got the code somewhere if you are that way inclined.

I contacted Kenwood UK who were happy to upgrade the firmware in my D7 - free of charge too - great service!  If you can locate an older Garmin they have the shorter precision and should work OK.

Regards

Corrie
M0XDK