[aprssig] THD7A GPS Question

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 18 20:59:27 EST 2008

On Sun, 17 Feb 2008, Robert Kirk wrote:

> Sam, I've forgotten the details after all  this time, but I had a similar
> problem with the THD7A and a new Garmin GPSMAP 76c. The radio would accept
> my old Garmin III+, but not the new one.
>
> It turns out it was a Garmin problem. According to one of their techs it
> was a glitch in their software. They had to replace the GPS under warranty
> for another problem anyway, and there was no further THD7 problem with the
> new one. I don't know if it's applicable to you, but I'd try to borrow
> another GPS to see if the problem goes away.

As I recall it was the original TH-D7A that could not parse the
extra digits after the decimal point in the lat/long on NMEA-3.0 or
some-such.  The TH-D7A(G) update fixed this.  Some people updated
their earlier HT with the new firmware by mailing it back to Kenwood
and paying something like $85?  I don't know what other updates or
bug-fixes were in the update.