[aprssig] RE: [amsat-bb] Satellite Simulated Emergency Test 2

Greg D. ko6th_greg at hotmail.com
Sat Feb 16 00:25:23 EST 2008

Hi Bob, et al,

Ok, I want to try this, but it's not working.  I have a TH-D7, and set up to send an email.  The APRS menu "packet path" is set to W3ADO-1, and the message has "EMAIL" as the "to" line, and my email address, one space, and text for the message.  I've set the TX Interval to 2 minutes, and the Status TX to "off" so that the one time a packet actually gets through it will be the email message, not "enroute".

I think all this is good, yes?

Now the problem...  I enter the message via the MSG button, and it transmits.  Then a little while later it tries again.  Good.  But after not too long, it seems to stop transmitting...  What happened to the 2 minutes?  Beacon is off, by the way.  How do I set it up to try every 2 minutes until it gets an echo back from space (or until I turn it off?)  I noticed a little symbol at the end of the "List" line that looks like an underlined "4" after the first transmission, then it turns into a 3 a little later.  Eventually I see a little dot, and I guess that's where the transmit ends.

My mental picture of the real-world use of this is to be able to queue up message or two in your HT and know that within the next 100 minutes or so it would be picked up by the next spacecraft that happened by.  But if I only get 4 shots with the transmitter, I'm not likely to hit anything.

Greg  KO6TH