[aprssig] More than one PCSAT?

Keith VE7GDH ve7gdh at rac.ca
Fri Feb 15 20:38:09 EST 2008

Francisco PT2TD wrote...

> It seems my question was not understood. How I have showed,
> PCSAT was over South America. At those time Findu was
> showing packet of PCSAT-11 being digipeated by KC8OBZ-2.
> Since KC8OBZ-2 is supposed be in USA and impossible to
> receive a beacon from PCSAT-1 when she is over SA, I see
> this possibilities:
> a) There would be another station with callsign PCSAT-11
> b) The packet sent by PCSAT-11 when she was over USA
> was received by Findu via KC8OBZ-2 only 10 to 15 minutes
> after the pass.

Hmmm... looking at www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?PCSAT*
(include the asterisk) I see

PCSat
PCSat-10
PCSat-5

All were seemingly heard no more than 15 seconds ago even when
I refreshed the page multiple times. However, the lat / long for the
three of them were quite spread out... (about Feb 16 0030 or so)

PCSat             2.04157 -94.92060 00:00:00:02
PCSat-10    -30.57415 -82.09516 00:00:00:02
PCSat-5      -14.38708 -89.08323 00:00:00:02

I created objects named PS-0, PS-10 and PS-5 at the above locations.
Interestingly, they were in a perfectly straight line running diagonally
across the Pacific more or less from the NW to the SE, and probably not
a coincidence that a satellite (object NO44 1302) tracked right over the
three objects that I created. The distance between the two "outside"
objects was about 3800 km.

Of course, I am looking at an object generated by someone, presumably
based on a prediction based on some tracking program rather than
necessarily where the satellite actually was at that point in time.

As far as what had been digipeated thru PCSAT*
www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-PCSAT-1

See also http://www.db0anf.de/app/aprs/stations/digiusers-KC8OBZ-2
for digipeater users of KC8OBZ-2 recently. No sign of PCSAT* there.

According to db0anf.de, PCSAT-11 has not used any digipeaters and has
only digipeated W3ADO, KB1GVR and KB3ISS.

Anyone have any thoughts over Francisco's observations, and the
"straight line" formed by the three of them at the point in time when
"the three of them" were stretched out in a line, and what was
digipeated by PCSAT-1? Are these one and the same satellite
or three different birds?

I'll back outa here and leave it to the real satellite buffs!

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH