[aprssig] RE: GBAS

Robert Kirk isobar at bcpl.net
Sun Feb 10 13:42:08 EST 2008

At 05:20 AM 2/10/2008, you wrote:
>What would be cool is if APRS supported an error correction uplink capability
>You would need a DGPS capable input GPS

Tom Clark W3IWI did just that 10 or more years ago in the Washington DC
area, long before WAAS & GBAS, and while selective availability was still
in effect.

He had access to precision GPS corrections (from his job at NASA)  and
broadcast a  one line dgps message about once a minute over the regular
APRS frequency. The message would go thru your TNC into your GPS and
correct your position to WAAS class accuracy.  It worked like a charm, well
before the Coast Guard's ill-fated DGPS program. I could pilot my boat with
impunity.

It was experimental and didn't last long for a number of reasons (One 19th
century curmudgeon, WB..something or other, for instance, didn't like the
once a minute transmissions clobbering his bandwidth :-), but it was a real
trailblazer.

Bob Kirk
N3OZB