[aprssig] RE: [OZAPRS] GBAS

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sun Feb 10 09:53:33 EST 2008

GBAS is a rather generic term describing what the US FAA is doing for
Local Area Augmentation Systems.  Darryl's descriptions are correct but
a little incomplete, in that, as well as determining precise ephemeris
for the constellation, you can also determine tropospheric delay and
ionospheric parameters, removing several other sources of enhanced error
budget.

With GBAS, aircraft (at least in the US; haven't looked at the rules
elsewhere) can effect high-precision instrument landings (CAT-III
coupled approach for you pilots), or other enhanced precision approaches.

IN a later post, Bob mentions calculating and transmitting a local
offset.  While this is of passing interest, simple offset calculation
didn't address the issues associated with PR and PRR (and doppler)
correction directly at the receiver that could be affected by multipath
interference.

gerry