[aprssig] Did an airplane crash in Martinsburg WV?

Boyd Prestwood K5YKG k5ykg at arrl.net
Sat Feb 9 12:55:51 EST 2008

I have been involved in one way or another with APRS since its release
in 1992.  I've been a trustee of digis, weather stations, mobile
trackers, the whole 9 yards!

For the 20-some odd years as ARRL SEC in Southern New Jersey, I
contended that if you wanted your served-agency officials to take APRS
(and ham radio for that matter) seriously, it was imperative that ham
operations be conducted with maturity and professionalism.  This, and a
license, is what separated us from CB'ers who might have had good
intentions but not all the resources and technology hams had & continue
to have.

APRS is NOT a Monopoly game.  You don't get to pick-&-choose the playing
piece you want to use.  It important to use the symbol that best
describes the purpose of your station at that location and make the data
it transmits as serious, truthful, accurate and professional-looking as
is possible.

APRS is a 24/7 tool that contains status of situations within your RF
LAN, however large that may be.  Even if there's no emergency or special
event going on, practice what can be done with it using that same
truthfulness and accuracy.  Be professional.  Be consistent.  If you're
a cop or a fireman and you're allowed to have ham radio & APRS in your
"company" vehicle, then beacon as such if you think that's appropriate
but if you're off duty and using APRS elsewhere, use the symbol/icon
that best describes the station from which you're operating.  Testing
should include such a notice in the COMMENT field.  Avoid redundant text.

If you think this is a game, or for fun & chuckles, then that's the way
APRS is gonna be perceived and EOC, disaster scene, and/or incident
command officials aren't going to take you, ham radio, and/or APRS
seriously either.

I'm retired and live in Houston, TX now and no longer involved with the
public service aspect of ham radio but principles are principles and
apply today as much as they did when this all started.

Have fun but be serious with APRS.  Be professional!
Thanks for the soapbox. Flame suit on!
73 de Boyd Prestwood, K5YKG (ex-W2HOB)