[aprssig] FINDU Weather Intermittency

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Sat Feb 9 12:00:03 EST 2008

Greg,

Point taken, and it's something I'll certainly consider a valid input.

Overall, I anticipate a lot of changes to CWOP over the next 5 years,
and port changes are only part of it.  For now, however, I'm really
worried about making too many changes to the CWOP list.

In general, the APRS community is pretty tech-savvy, and a request to
use different ports would be greeted with a little grumbling, and pretty
rapid compliance.  In the CWOP community, we have to go through a lot
more communication to get folks to make these changes, and sometimes,
the ports in question are hard-coded either into the software or into
software menus and effectively cannot be changed.  As we work through
the list of developers, and potentially hold a software summit for CWOP,
this is something to discuss, and move on.

Last year, the CWOP leadership didn't want to make all the recommended
changes because of some of these considerations.  It's been borne out,
based on the long exclusion list of CWOP stations who didn't respond to
direct requests to change behavior by CWOP leaders, that some of these
folks either don't monitor e-mail or may lack the resources to make
these changes.  If we can make transitions easier by having the software
do the work for them, I suspect it's better.

Or, in other words, "Yeah, you're probably right, but I'm scared to do
it right now!"

73 gerry