[aprssig] Xastir Development Release

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Feb 5 11:30:13 EST 2008

On Tue, 5 Feb 2008, William McKeehan wrote:

> Welcome to UNIX and a multi-threaded application.
>
> You'll notice that the 2nd and 3rd Xastir process have the first as their
> parent. Xastir forks some sub processes; that's what you're seeing.

Yep!  The basic rule with Xastir on Unix/Linux is:  If you haven't
started any interfaces, you'll have one process.  Once you start an
interface, you get two more threads, one read, one write, for that
interface.  Plus because it just went multi-threaded you might get a
supervisory thread as well (the "pthreads" thread package does this
at least).  Start another interface and you'll see two more threads.

Enable the server and you'll get another process (not a thread this
time, but a full-blown process).  As apps connect to the server
you'll see another process for each connection.

Xastir is both multi-threaded and multi-process, so the number of
processes you'll see at any given time can usually be calculated as
above, but sometimes there are temporary processes as well as it
calls external commands.

Fun huh?  Try drawing it out sometime with all the connections
necessary between the processes!