[aprssig] New Truck/Setup Ford Expedition GPS and Install Questions

K7FTP k7ftp at commtechreview.net
Mon Feb 4 10:07:29 EST 2008

Jotto has both the console units that you describe, and laptop mounts.  The consoles are great for mounting gear with lots of wiring that needs to be hidden as long as they have a version for the vehicle.  We used them in all sorts of vehicles.  But the RAM Mount laptop holders are much better than the Jotto units.  We can have a passenger in a Jeep Wrangler with the laptop mount in there.  They are a bit pressed for space, but the passenger seat can be used.  There is also a quick release mount so that the pedestal can be removed from the base and the whole thing taken out in about 30 seconds.  Routing wires does become an issue in mobile installations, it's just part of the game.

We ended up mounting a Lowrance Baja 540C GPS Unit on the top of the center console in the Jeep.  It has a big enough display, and shows APRS received positions as well as supplying our position to a D700A.  The only problem is that in this model they switched from 2 RS-232 ports to only 1.  At least they still offer one.  We checked around with Garmin and others at CES and most of them are totally dropping RS-232 in favor of USB (with the exception of many marine-intended units, which don't accept road maps).