[aprssig] Xastir: Where did the maps go?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 30 17:52:37 EST 2008

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Jason KG4WSV wrote:

> occasionally,when xastir doesn't exit gracefully, it pukes in the
> config file (actually, I think it's in the middle of writing it).
> Look in ~/.xastir/config for some files named xastir.cnf xastir.cnf.1
> etc.  Those with numbers are older versions of the file.  copy one of
> those to xastir.cnf and see if it restores sanity.

Of course one has to be smart(?) enough not to kill/restart Xastir
too many times before doing that as it'll renumber (age) the config
files and the old ones drop off the back end.

If similar troubles in the future, copy the config files to a temp
directory first for backup purposes.  Later copy them back one by
one to find the one you like the best.

I've thought before of calculating a checksum for the config file
and checking it when Xastir comes up.  Xastir itself could detect a
corrupted config file and notify the user of the fact, perhaps with
a pick-list of non-corrupted files that show up for the user.  It'd
be a useful thing to add.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer