[aprssig] Another Bootlegger Using APRS As a Commercial AVL System ???

Joel Maslak jmaslak-aprs at antelope.net
Sun Dec 28 10:54:57 EST 2008

On Dec 28, 2008, at 7:53 AM, Joseph M. Durnal wrote:

> I don't think that APRS bootlegging on 144.39 will ever be a big deal
> as long as it isn't ignored.  Preventing the packets from reaching the
> IS could be a temporary fix, but at a cost that the bootleggers would
> only be able to be seen on RF.  Then who is to say that the
> bootleggers won't set up their own receiver with UIView or something,
> and then use obnoxious paths?  As it is, APRS 144.39 bootleggers are
> the only ones that actually tell you exactly where to find them which
> is a heck of a lot easier than finding the truck driver with the 500
> watt CB using 28.085.

I tried to send a couple of packets with short tactical calls
(starting with "E") to the IS this morning, but they didn't seem to
go through.  That's too bad, I thought a position sent TCPXX/NOGATE
out in the middle of the Atlantic with a comment of "Ham radio
requires a license" would be helpful...