[aprssig] Another Bootlegger Using APRS As a Commercial AVL System ???

Joseph M. Durnal joseph.durnal at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 09:53:19 EST 2008

I don't think that APRS bootlegging on 144.39 will ever be a big deal
as long as it isn't ignored.  Preventing the packets from reaching the
IS could be a temporary fix, but at a cost that the bootleggers would
only be able to be seen on RF.  Then who is to say that the
bootleggers won't set up their own receiver with UIView or something,
and then use obnoxious paths?  As it is, APRS 144.39 bootleggers are
the only ones that actually tell you exactly where to find them which
is a heck of a lot easier than finding the truck driver with the 500
watt CB using 28.085.

73 de Joseph Durnal NE3R