[aprssig] Another Bootlegger Using APRS As a Commercial AVL System ???

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Sun Dec 28 01:28:10 EST 2008

Absolutely not.  There is nothing specific to amateur radio use about
these devices, unless you're talking about the Microtrak or other device
with an integrated transmitter.  Byon's products, like mine and every
other TNC out there, generate an audio output that can be used with any
radio (or other transmission channel) the end user wants to use.

I can't speak for Byon, but I know there are easily hundreds of
OpenTrackers in commercial use around the world.  They're not being used
on amateur frequencies, and some of them aren't even being used on
radios - I know of one or two being used to record locations in the
audio track of recorded video.  There is no technical or moral reason to
verify license status.

If Radio Shack sells a DTMF keyer that can be used on a radio, do they
have any obligation to make sure you're licensed to use the radio that
you MIGHT use the DTMF keyer with?

Scott
N1VG