[aprssig] portable mapping

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Thu Dec 25 16:57:25 EST 2008

Matt Murphy wrote:
> Merry Christmas all!
>
> I am looking for a portable aprs mapping solution for a friend.
> One to run on a pocket PC.  Besides "aprsce" is there anything else?

NO

Pocket PCs and "Pocket Windows" a.k.a "Windows CE" (Windows Compact
Edition) a.k.a. "WinCE" a.k.a "Windows Mobile"  only *look *
more-or-less like Windows.

Pocket PCs use one of several kinds of CPUs and system architectures
that are totally different from the standard Intel or AMD-based PCs that
run regular Windows.  No normal Window applications will run on the
Pocket PC/Windows Mobile platform.

Given that:

1)   Stand-alone PDA-type devices (either Windows Pocket PC or
Palm-based) are rapidly being supplanted by smart phones as all-purpose
portable computing/communications devices.

2)   Microsoft has tried repeatedly to recycle the
not-terribly-successful   Pocket PC cum Windows CE cum  Windows CE
(Phone Edition) cum Windows Mobile  (their market-droids keep renaming
the thing in the hope that it will finally take off), and is now
positioning it as a mobile phone operating system.

3)   Acceptance of Windows Mobile is running far behind other mobile
phone operating systems (particularly the iPhone's cut-down version of
the Unix-based Mac OS, the Linux-based Google Android phone OS, Nokia's
various OS'es and various others derived from the royalty-free Linux.).

As a result, I would not hold my breath expecting a great outpouring of
new development for WinCE a.k.a. Windows Mobile.

--

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com

World Digipeater Map
  http://wa8lmf.net/APRSmaps