[aprssig] Appalacian TRail and ham radio

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 21:21:43 EST 2008

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> Bob - I suspect using ATRAIL may cause problems

Two at the same time would cause a problem, but only for users and
clients trying to make sense of the data.

The APRS-IS only filters exact duplicates, as far as I know. No effort
is made for sanity checks on speed - after all, those satellite
objects are moving right along as they go over.

Why not just put something in the comment indicating they're on the trail?

Not sure how feasible it is, but something that might be useful is if
the hiker could carry a packet receiver and a datalogger.  A 1W or 5W
HT may or may not get out, but a fixed site digi may be more likely to
get in and give a better indication of coverage.  (No, I am not
volunteering to carry the batteries. :)

-Jason
kg4wsv