[aprssig] APRS Parser

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sat Dec 20 10:30:21 EST 2008

Subject was: Re: [aprssig] Field station

>> I'm pretty sure there's a perl APRS
>> parser somewhere,

The gold standard for APRS parsing in pseudo code English is on the www.aprs.org web site:

http://www.aprs.org/txt/APRS-parser.txt

This is the full commented parser from the original APRSdos.  It is good up through APRS1.1 and much of APRS1.2.  The newest things in APRS1.2 that I need to add are:

1) The new Mic-E Type definitions so that you can recognize Yaesu, and TinyTraks, and other future manufacturers.

2) The new ITEM-IN-MESSAGE format

3) FREQ-IN-MESSAGE format if your code also has RIG tuning control.

4) FREQUNECY parser for tabular display

5) OPERATOR PRESENT BIT ("O" overlay on most symbols)

6) PRIORITY BIT:  (uses the case of the E/W byte)

7) SKY COMMAND Parsing and display of community remotes

8) EMERGENCY codes for non Mic-E systems

9) The !DAO! high precision parser

Ill update the parser page above so that it is complete, when I get back from travel.

Bob, Wb4APR