[aprssig] VX-8R APRS radio

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 19 18:37:01 EST 2008

Someone in my area just got a VX-8R.

It is the first time I have seen one, and so there is much to
learn about the Yaesu menu system.  I only got to hold it for an
hour or so while it was loaned to me, before the owner wanted it
back, so I did not get a chance to try everything...

The one thing that is new that I noticed was that it has a full
180 symbols and displays a very large number of them.

So far, I have not been able to figure out how to set Voice
Alert (CTCSS 100 on the APRS channel), so that I could be
available for PL-100 voice calls, while not having to hear all
the packet racket.

Also, Another person called me and could not find the pin-out of
the serial port for use of the internal TNC with a PC.  Has
anyone decoded that info yet?

Bob, Wb4APR