[aprssig] KPC-3+ KISS mode delayed packet issue?

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Dec 19 12:33:57 EST 2008

I seem to recall reading here some time back that there was some bug in
the KPC-3+ in KISS mode that could cause it to screw up and hold packets
for some reason.

I'm seeing some very strange delayed packets in my local environment, and
since I'm running a KPC-3+ in KISS mode I'm wondering if it's my fault.
What it seems to be is that packets I am transmitting seem to be getting
digipeated 10 minutes or more later.  My logs show my transmitted packet
going out to the TNC, then sometime soon after a digipeat of a much older
packet coming back.  My current guess is that my packets are being held at my
TNC until my next transmission or something (this rings a bell about the KPC
holding until a buffer is full or something like that).  I want to fix it if
that's what's going on.

Could someone refresh my memory about:
  1) what the actual issue is that can cause KPC-3+ KISS-mode TNCs to hold
     off transmitting packets for as much as 10 minutes, if there is in fact
     such an issue
  2) The correct way to fix it (is it as simple as power-cycling the TNC?)
  3) The best way to avoid the problem in the first place, if it is in fact
     my system that's causing the delay.

  In some cultures what I do would be considered normal.
                                  -- Ineffective daily affirmation