[aprssig] Field station

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 19 11:53:47 EST 2008

On Fri, 19 Dec 2008, J. Lance Cotton wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 1:07 AM, Andrew Rich <vk4tec at tech-software.net> wrote:
>> No a Plain Text TNC or decoder
>
> The API for the linux ax.25 subsystem is documented and the source for
> some applications that use it (such as 'listen' command) are
> available. It shouldn't be too hard to write a simple application that
> opens an AX.25 device (connected to a KISS TNC) and dump the payload
> of the packet to a TCP/IP socket.
>
> Or, since the KISS protocol is relatively simple, just write a very
> simple program that parses KISS (code examples in Xastir) and dumps
> the text of the payload to some other port (like TCP/IP socket or
> similar)

The code for "listen" would be another good source, or perhaps the
output of it could be piped directly into his app that fill the
database.  Listen already decodes the packets into human-readable
format.

Also, isn't there a program somewhere that simulates a command-mode
TNC interface from an AX.25 KISS port?  That might be all he needs,
then his code just thinks it's talking to a serial TNC.

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer