[aprssig] Digi callsigns

Andrew Rich vk4tec at tech-software.net
Tue Dec 16 15:11:14 EST 2008

Hello

Can someone please explain to me.

In the old days, you used to have a digi with a callsign and you could bounce off it.

VK4TEC> APRS via VK4RBT-3* : Packet

You knew which digi you had hit, and more importantly if you wanted to direct a packet only via that digi, you could.

Sonce then we seem to have had aliasing added to APRS, example WIDE

VK4TEC> APRS via WIDE* : Packet

In this case, which digi did it go via ?

I thought the digi was supposed to callsign substitute.

Even if this packet was to hit the internet, I have no idea via what digi it got there ?

I have a friend that lives WEST of me, I know if i send a packet via a set path, my packet will make it to him.

In this new brave world, it seems very hot and miss ??

It is a pity our APRS networks can't "learn" where other nodes and stations are.

Just a thought - coming from a mobile phone and RADAR background.

Andrew VK4TEC