[aprssig] [amsat-bb] PCSAT Recovery status

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 12 18:56:36 EST 2008

> "Why not list the stations heard?"
> There should be a "Wall of Shame."

Because of the dozens of packets being digipeated by PCSAT, none
or maybe one or two have enough power to get heard.  And often
those are PCSAT's own packets.  PCSAT has no battery capacity to
maintain the 10W needed by the XMTRs.  So a packet starts, but
before even the TXD is up, the battery is dead, and noone gets a
full packet.

I use the term "digipeated" here, meaning that the TNC heard it
and the TNC keyed the transmitter and send over the audio, but
the XMTR dies before the packet is  hardlly begun.  So you can
hear them, but you cannot decode them.

Whereas conventionally when we use the term "digipeated" we are
assuming the RF gets out the antnena at the XMT end...

Thanks
Bob, WB4APR