[aprssig] PCSAT little joy

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 10 12:08:55 EST 2008

PCSAT not useable.  No joy today.

Like yesterday, on the first ascending pass, we got a successful
logon and restore commands, but they did not hold to the next
rev.

Again, I almost got in on the second pass, but a QRM packet took
the energy I was hoping for.  Third pass to the NW was too high
in latitude so she was already dead.

Will try again tomorrow.  The only time we can get in is on an
ascending pass, with some solar sun on the south panel, and this
only occurs on an ascending pass, in the local morning in the
Northern Hemisphere, in the winter, between the latitudes of
about 30 to 40 deg and only when the orbit's ground track is in
line with the terminator.

Because PCSAT is magnetically stabilized, the angles work out
just right only for a few minutes a day a few days per winter.
Below that latitude there is not enough sun on the bottom panel
(faces down in the southern hemisphere).  Near that latitude
there is some southern sun on this panel, but above that
latitude, the best solar panel is pointing to space.

Bob, WB4APR