[aprssig] IPOD-Touch (or Iphone) question..

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Sun Dec 7 20:43:12 EST 2008

There are a few minor tweaks that happen automatically. For example,
the wxpage.cgi turns the radar image into a link for a zoomed and
centered image which can be pinched-zoomed to show lots of detail. I'm
not planning on doing much more than that automatically, it really
annoys me when a site I like adds "iPhone support" which limits what I
can see. The whole point of the iPhone is you can see complete web
sites, not just watered down versions. Years ago I had played with WAP
version of pages, but it was apparent to me even then that the appeal
would be very limited until a full web browser was on a phone. I no
longer support WAP. W9IF has a system, see

http://w9if.net/cgi-bin/wapaprs/web_main.pl

I have played a bit with some special pages that use the iPhone style
sheets.

http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/iPhoneFind.cgi?call=k4hg-8

That links to two others for weather warnings and nearby APRS
stations. These are experimental, only on www1, and subject to change.

There is no way to generate a URL like you suggest, though if there
were findU has the capability to enter positions via a web URL for
many years, look up the inputpos cgi.

I have an iPhone app that reads the GPS and sends it to the APRS IS
(not just findU). The first version was submitted before the iPhone
software that allowed external apps was released, it was rejected
(limited audience). I resubmitted it a month or two ago but no word yet.

Steve K4HG