[aprssig] A/N Footbal Run is underway!

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 5 13:53:35 EST 2008

On Fri, 5 Dec 2008, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> This year, they wanted to try changing callsigns on the fly
> (which I am sure will lead to problems!).  But we are going to
> try it.  Using D700's we loaded CHASE-1,2,3 into PM's 1,2,3 and
> FBALL into PM 4.  So each vehicle can change to FBALL easily,
> and then back to his own CHASE-N number.  (you can see the
> potential for confusing the tactical picture!)

This would be SOOOO much easier with the tactical call on the fly
stuff that APRS+SA and Xastir has.  Send a message to TACTICAL with
the proper format and everybody who's capable gets that tactical
call assigned and showing up on their screen.  The trackers
themselves don't need to change a thing.  Anybody can send out the
message, but only those software packages capable of parsing the
message and updating the tactical calls will see it.  Sure would be
nice if all the APRS programs had that feature!

We've been using this in public service events to eliminate changes
to SAG vehicle trackers and the like.  Now we leave the APRS
mobiles/portables totally alone that show up to help, thereby
increasing the chances that they'll be seen on the map.

Not changing the configs on daily-use trackers gives us a very high
chance that those trackers will continue to work just fine during
the event (100% or very near 100%).  We've had MUCH lower success
rates with trackers that are configured just before or during an
event, or tracking packages that are brought out of mothballs and
set up just for the event (estimate 50%).

We update tactical calls at the mapping stations involved in the
event, and can update all of the mapping stations at once from any
one station.  Any station in the area with the same capability that
hears/decodes the messages will also see the tactical callsigns.

Consider adding this feature to the spec addendums?

--
Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo dot com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer