[aprssig] Interesting setup ... but will it work?

Dave Baxter Dave at emv.co.uk
Mon Dec 1 04:22:27 EST 2008

You can get modern P4 motherboards with ISA slots in addition to PCI,
look at the industrial PC parts vendors...

I own such a beast.  A modern ATX format P4 1.8G, max 2G Ram, 3PCI +
3ISA + AGP + onboard 10/100 LAN, USB, USB2, COM1 to 4, LPT1, Sound etc,
in my main shack PC, with old GPIB and digital IO cards in.   Works well
with Win2k (and all updates.)

OK, so it's about 3 years old now, but they are still being made if you
go looking for them.  Just don't ask Dell or your local PC supermarket,
they dont even know what a USB to RS232 adapter is!

As an asside, Dell will build a batch to whatever spec you want, for
corporate customers, at a cost.  If you look at even their latest
machines, there are spaces marked up on the main boards for COM and LPT
ports for example, they are just not populated as standard...

If anyone wants, I'll find out where my mobo came from.   I had the PC
ready built to my spec, the request for at least 1 ISA slot didn't raise
any comments, and the cost was no more than a similar PCI only mobo at
that time.

Cheers.

Dave G0WBX.