[aprssig] Kenwood TH-D7 Batteries (and Icom,Alinco,Yaesu)

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 19 01:19:09 EDT 2008

Greg,

  I was wondering where that diode was, until ...
  Looks like that'll take some fancy footwork.  That bottom half of the cover appears to be glued/welded in.
   The diode is in the neg side.  It's kinda' dark in there, but taking the 'ole dental mirror to it, the diode appears to be soldered directly to the inside of the neg contact.  I see a solder blob on the inside of the contact.
   Then, looking carefully, you can see a black wire running up along the inside, held in a slot (there's an unused, matching slot on the opposite side), and connecting to the lone, non bridging spring contact at the top.
  If you can get something connected to the inside of the radio contact, you could run a wire up the side to the spring-plate.  Those type of battery spring contact usually have one-way teeth holding them in their slots, but I was able to slide mine up a bit - I didn't try to go further - and saw the tab where the wire is soldered.

  At the proper .1C rate, you should be able to charge Ni-Mh in the standard 16 hrs.

--
73, Steve, K9DCI

--- On Mon, 8/18/08, Greg D. <ko6th_greg at hotmail.com> wrote:

> ... the BT-11H pack from Batteries America has a charge-inhibiting
> diode built in, ...
> would it be possible to short out the diode and properly charge NiMH
> cells from the radio?

I know it will take a while (two