[aprssig] APRS on all Radios!!!!

Steve Grantham aa5sg-2 at sera.org
Sun Aug 17 12:27:15 EDT 2008

Wouldn't the 120-Hz subcarrier still be problematic for phase modulated
rigs?  And, wouldn't this type data interfere with the CTCSS or DCS signals
used with many repeaters in service today?

Why not simply use something like MIC-E?   With the use of properly
implemented CTCSS, repeater users would not hear the MIC-E packets.  Perhaps
the goal here is simultaneous voice and data transmission?

What about using the other end of the audio spectrum?  Use PSK-31 with
something like a 4-kHz subcarrier that might be just outside the audio
passband of the audio frequency (AF) receiver section.  PM transmitters
could handle that AF easily.  (Not too high a subcarrier frequency though as
system deviation and channel bandwidths would need to be preserved.)  Pick
it up before the receiver AF section and send it to the demodulator.  If
necessary, add a series op-amp filter to  notch out any excess PSK tone
prior to audio injection to the receiver speaker amp or repeater audio
coupler.  If that didn't work, then maybe we could move away from PM or FM
to something like GMSK and explore other data transmission scenarios?

How about using MIC-E on the uplink and modulating PSK-31 at the FM repeater
transmitter for the downlink?  This would make it easier to implement at the
user's rig and let the repeater trustee be the one responsible for dealing
with the PSK-31 deviation at the repeater.  (Hmmm... Someone could possibly
build and market a kit for the end user MIC-E/PSK-31 gadget?)  What could be
easier?

Steve, AA5SG