[aprssig] Free to a good home.. radio / tnc

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Fri Aug 15 15:26:55 EDT 2008

It's good to know there are still some of those around.  I was at the
local electronics store the other day and ran into an 11 year old who
was running around with a manual on Intel embedded processors and had
his mom looking for parts to go with the 8080A processor he'd picked
out.  I talked him into going with the Z80 for the single supply, single
phase clock, and all of the other features that made it THE popular chip
of 1976.  =]

I'm pretty sure I've still got a Z80 of my own kicking around, for an
identical project, bought from the same store, about two decades ago.

It's too bad the school system does nothing to identify or encourage
this sort of interest.  At least kids have the Internet these days, but
even then... I can remember getting flamed on FidoNet for asking
'stupid' questions, and it certainly wasn't an encouraging environment.

Scott
N1VG