[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Steve Dimse steve at dimse.com
Fri Aug 15 14:21:00 EDT 2008

On Aug 15, 2008, at 9:25 AM, Robert Bruninga wrote:

>>> MacAPRS implemented increased beaconing during
>>> rainfall... and it was in WinAPRS from the start
>
> And APRSdos used the fundamental decay algorithm on WX (like all
> packets).  If the data was changing, then it was transmitted NOW
> (the only exception was wind below some threshold).

So as temp slowly dropped, it is common to flip back and forth between
two values. (IOW, it is steady at 65, then for 10 minutes it flips
back and forth between 565 and 64, then it finally steadies at 64.
Each makes APRSdos send a packet?

How is a receiving station supposed to know whether conditions are
stable or the weather station is off the air?

Regardless, this is different than the way the meteorologist usually
report, which is at regular intervals. Maybe you want all of them to
change their paradigm too?

Steve K4HG