[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Robbie, wa9inf mwrobertson at comcast.net
Thu Aug 14 17:08:13 EDT 2008

Steve Dimse wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Joseph M. Durnal wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised that smart beaconing hasn't made its way to this
>> subject.  If the weather isn't really changing, then does the
>> information need to be transmitted as often?  But if the wind or rain
>> has kicked up in the last few minutes, wouldn't it be helpful to know
>> that right away?
>
> MacAPRS implemented increased beaconing during rainfall last
> millennium, and therefore it was in WinAPRS from the start as well. I
> suspect they are not the only one, but I do not know for sure.
>
> Steve K4HG

I agree with this smart beaconing idea, but not sure how "all" the
clients could implement it..

The other question that confuses me, how position less weather reports
are generated?

I have been using Ui-View and a weather station for over 3 or 4 years
now, seems like a very long time, and Ui-View will not transmit my
"Station" icon, nor my "Weather Station" icon, or weather data, without
a latitude and longitude entered in the Station Setup...

Now with that said, there is no lat/lon entered in the Weather Station
set up as Ui-View relies on the data in Station Setup..

I do not have a "Station" icon beaconed, all rates, mobile station, and
I-Net are set to zero. I set the Weather station Beacon rate of 10
minutes RF, and 5 minutes on APRS-IS.

Ui-View has a unique function, If for some reason the data from the
Heathkit ID-5001 is not valid, Ui-View will revert to a "Station" icon
and the beacon rate of the Weather Station setup of 10 minutes RF with
NO data! It will look like a normal base station..

Also, since it was brought up before, Ui-View will display a Blue Square
around an I-Gate whether it is a weather station or base "house" icon.
This may only work on other Ui-View stations, and not all clients. Will
check that out...

Sorry about the length of post...

Robbie