[aprssig] Weather Stations and Net Neutrality

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Thu Aug 14 17:06:04 EDT 2008

On Thu, Aug 14, 2008 at 2:33 PM, Steve Dimse <steve at dimse.com> wrote:

> I'd be very surprised if xastir doesn't do this, it is a pretty easy
> thing to implement. I'm sure they will answer the question shortly.

right on both counts. (:

One of my earliest confusions using xastir was that I'd see it report
a station on the status line, but not plot it.  It would eventually
show up.  The situation was of course a positionless WX packet
arriving ahead of a position.

> I've implemented positionless
> weather three different times in three different parsers, and compared
> to some abominations Bob has done with the protocol, this is trivial
> to program.

IMO this one isn't about implementation difficulty as much as
usability.  A positionless WX packet is useless without other data to
complete it.  This should have never been allowed to exist, but I
assume it's one of those things that some specific piece of hardware
couldn't do, so the protocol was dumbed down to allow it.

-Jason
kg4wsv